Friday, December 31, 2021

The Joke, the Temple, and the Rhino (Intro)

For the past 3 months I have been suffering tremendous writer’s block. I’ve been contemplating a lecture delivered by Lou Kahn at Ball State University (Louis I. Kahn, "Architecture", 1971-04-14 - YouTube), which sounds like a sermon in metaphysics, a standup comedy routine called the Bicentennial Prayer by Richard Pryor (The Sermon_Richard Pryor - YouTube) which sounds like a sermon in critical race theory, and some strange idiosyncrasies in Albrect Duhrer’s famous rhinoceros wood cuts (Dürer's Rhinoceros - Wikipedia). If I were a PhD student, my thesis would be titled something like, “The metaphysics of lou kahn through Richard Pryor’s Parrhesian lens of critical race theory with a bonus explanation of anatomically misplaced rhinoceros horns in duhrer’s woodcuts.” It sounds complicated and obscure, but with covid raging, what else is there to do in my free time?

I don’t have a thesis advisor, so I’ve been kind of floating around untethered in a sea of ideas. When I don’t understand something, I try to read about it. To my knowledge and prodigious internet search skills, there have been no academic attempts that discuss the above ideas in any real depth. No transcripts exist for any of the above material. Some people jog or go to museums as hobbies. In my spare time I transcribe things that have yet to be transcribed. In the search to provide new insight to things that already exist, the importance of the primary source material cannot be stressed.  

So when someone asks me what I’ve been doing the past 3 months in my spare time, I respond, “I’ve been tirelessly transcribing Lou Kahn’s lecture at Ball State University, dissecting Richard Pryor’s Bicentennial prayer regarding racism in america, and looking at weird unexplained things going on in duhrer’s famous rhinoceros woodcut.” Usually my friends say “uh cool. Sounds interesting… then steer the conversation towards easier topics by saying something more conventional like “so how are your wife and kids?” to which we end up commiserating over our kids’ borderline psychopathic use of tik tok.

It’s been frustrating... when I have a couple good ideas and I struggle to pull them together. I think It would be great to pull these Ideas together like an expert juggler. I’m not one of those regular jugglers that just takes a bunch of banal bowling pins and throws them up in the air. I’m the more ambitious and dangerous type of juggler who you can’t stop watching. I like to juggle different things together like flaming torches, heavy butcher knives and used toilet brushes. At the heart of it, my superpower if I had any, is not flight, nor is it charming good looks, nor is it turning invisible… it’s making connections between things and coming up with theories and speculations nobody is crazy enough pauses to think about.  

When I try to write about about subjects, but can’t quite keep them in the air simultaneously. It’s frustrating. I have juggler’s block. My mind starts straying, I look at the long list of things I want to write about and just end up procrastinating further and further thinking about more and more disparate things to juggle.  I start reading, drowning in a sea of more and more craziness, wanting to throw up wilder and wilder combinations of things like Japanese haiku poetry of Basho, 1960’s jazz piano of Bill Evans, and the architecture of Carlo Scarpa.  

Enter the unexpected lifeguard. It’s not everyday you get to ask a Grammy nominee and NYTimes best selling author (Crying in H mart) Japanese Breakfast questions about creative process, but that’s what I did today in a serendipitous open zoom forum.


() Me - “What’s your song writing and essay writing process like? What do you do when you get writer’s block?” And she actually responded, “I give myself assignments like write 1000 words a day (which translates to 2 pages of single spaced text) or write 30 songs for the month of June. I hope for something good.. sometimes I get 1 sentence, other times I get raw source material for future albums.”

I came to an epiphany today. Fuck it. Make a disciplined series of daily blog posts that show the struggle and process of writing. So here I’m about to set a set of dangerous objects in motion. Gather round ladies and gentlemen, I’m going to start juggling this flaming torch, butcher’s knife and toilet brush in orbit, and see if I can keep it going. A Kahn lecture, Pryor prayer, and duhrer misplaced rhinoceros horn. At best, I’m going to provide valuable insights to humanity, at worst, if it’s an epic fail, I might cut off my toe, suffer 3rd degree burns and die of a terrible infection on my self-inflicted wounds, and at the very least I publish transcribed texts so people after me can see the primary sources in Microsoft word format and can study it for their own PhD work. So in effect, my existence on earth either provides insight no-one really asked for, a humorous spectacle of self- mutilation or a service to those who are hearing impaired or don’t understand English but want to experience Richard pryor, lou kahn or Albrecht duhrer in English. It’s a win win win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment